Health Informatics, Health Services Research, Outcomes and Evaluation, Adaptive Clinical Trials, Medical Education
mobile health, e-health, persistent pain, self-management, pain assessment, user-centred design, health research methods, adolescent health, e-consent, randomized controlled trials, medical education, implementation science
My research includes the following foci:
- User-centred design of digital health interventions for youth
- Oversee the iCanCope pain self-management platform for youth with acute or persistent pain (http://icancope.ca). Ongoing clinical trials are underway to evaluate iterations of iCanCope for adolescents and young adults with chronic pain, arthritis, sickle cell disease, post-operative pain, and neurofibromatosis.
- Innovations to streamline evaluation of digital health interventions
- Co-leading the first pediatric implementation of Apple's ResearchKit for remote e-consent in Canada.
- Co-leading CIHR-funded innovative clinical trial to evaluate the multiple baseline design as a method to streamline m-health evaluation.
- Impact of virtualized medical education for community healthcare professionals
- Research Lead for Paediatric Project ECHO, a virtualized medical education initiative based at The Hospital for Sick Children (https://sickkids.echoontario.ca). This Ministry of Health-funded program aims to build capacity among community-based healthcare providers to care for paediatric patients with medical needs related to pain, obesity, complex care, or palliative care. My work seeks to evaluate the impact of this program at the provider, patient, and health system level.
Thesis Supervision (2011+)
- Yalinie Kulandaivelu. Examining the Development of a Community of Practice in Paediatric Project ECHO (2019)
Additional Recent Publications
- Lalloo C, Harris L, Hundert AS, Berard R, Cafazzo J, Connelly M, Feldman BM, Houghton K, Huber A, Laxer R, Lusa N, Schmeling H, Spiegel L, Tucker LB, Pham Q, Davies-Chalmers C, Stinson J. (2020). The iCanCope pain self-management application for adolescents with Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis: A pilot randomized controlled trial. Rheumatology. In press.
- Lalloo C, Pham Q, Cafazzo J, Stephenson E, Stinson J. (2020). A ResearchKit app to deliver paediatric electronic consent: Protocol of an observational study in adolescents with arthritis. Contemporary Clinical Trials Communications. 17:100525. Link to paper