health economics, health services outcomes and evaluation, health research methods (clinical trials), health policy, health care system, public and population health, children, marginalized populations
For Further Information
Technology Assessment at Sick Kids (TASK) which I started in 2007 is the world’s leading research unit devoted to child health technology assessment. With a strong TASK Force of iHPME trainees, TASK has produced high quality HTA evidence to inform decision-making locally, nationally and internationally.
The heart of my research program examines the special challenges in applying health economic methods to children. My program of methods research has investigated novel parent-child dyad approaches to health state measurement, has conducted pioneering work in capturing preferences and willingness-to-pay for child health interventions and is investigating new health economic modelling approaches to link screening, diagnosis and treatment interventions for chronic pediatric disorders.
As the previous Program Director for the MSc in HTA&M (Ulysses program), I have connected a select group of international trainees with IHPME faculty every two years for a stimulating and exciting learning experience. Exchanging knowledge regarding how different countries and global regions use HTA evidence provides insight and provokes thinking regarding how best to use HTA evidence in improving health care delivery.
Thesis Supervision (2011+)
- Cindy Low Gauvreau. The Application of Cost-effectiveness Analysis in Developing Countries (2012)
- Myla Emily Moretti. A Cost-effectiveness Analysis of Maternal Genotying to Guide Treatment for Postpartum Pain and Avert Infant Adverse Events (2014)
- Tracy Yuen. Generating Evidence to Streamline the Clinical Pathway in Autism Spectrum Disorder Using Simulation Models: Cost-effectiveness Comparisons of Screening and Genetic Testing Strategies (2017)
- Heather Burnett. Parents’ Preferences for Drug Treatments in Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis: A Discrete Choice Experiment (2011)
- Eon Edward Kwokho Ting. Systematic Review of the Cost-effectiveness of Influenza Immunization Programs: A Canadian Perspective (2015)
- Melanie Penner. Policy Analysis and Evaluation of National Clinician-reported Practices for the Diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Disorder (2016)
- Elaine Goh. Genetic Counsellors’ Preferences for Preimplantation Genetic Diagnosis: A Discrete Choice Experiment (2017)