Message from Rhonda Cockerill

Acting Director, Institute of Health Policy, Management and Evaluation

Video interview with Rhonda Cockerill coming soon!

Welcome to IHPME!

It is a pleasure to serve as the Director of the Institute of Health Policy, Management and Evaluation. I first joined the University (into what was then known as the Department of Health Administration) as a Research Associate with the Health Care Research Unit. Over the many years that I have been affiliated with the Institute, I have witnessed its growth – in its educational programs, its faculty complement, the impact of its research and the range and quality of its alumni and donors. I am particularly pleased to have assumed this position during IHPME’s 70th anniversary year; this is definitely a time to celebrate.

IHPME has many strengths.  We have the largest and most productive group of scholars working in health policy, health services, health informatics, clinical epidemiology and health care research in Canada today.  Our students represent all sectors of the health care system; we have consistently been able to attract exceptional applicants from diverse backgrounds with a wealth of experiences. Our alumni have moved into leadership positions throughout the health care system and remain actively involved in ensuring we achieve our goals. And, finally, our donors and partners have been very generous in terms of developing and supporting new initiatives and addressing the financial needs of our students.

If asked what makes IHPME particularly special, my answer would be the many connections that link IHPME to the broader health care environment.  Because of the multi-disciplinary nature of our backgrounds, the willingness to partner with healthcare providers, public agencies and other academic units and the enthusiasm that we bring to our work, we are developing new perspectives on the most important problems facing health systems today. IHPME through its many activities is definitely “making a difference.”

I look forward to working with the entire IHPME community to ensure we continue to provide a welcoming environment for all our friends and faculty, our donors and alumni, and our current students.  There is a wealth of experience and expertise within the IHPME community and, working together, we can contribute to stronger and more sustainable health care systems globally.