IHPME full-time students in thesis-based programs (who meet the funding criteria) will be provided with a guaranteed minimum level of financial support (student funding package) of $26,000, which covers tuition, health insurance, incidental fees, system access and ancillary fees plus personal stipend.
- One year at the master’s level (thesis-based)
- Four years for PhD
- Full-time MSc/PhD transfer program students, funding will be guaranteed for one year of master’s study and three years of PhD study
Students in non-thesis programs do not qualify for the University of Toronto’s guaranteed funding. Students in these programs may be eligible for Scholarships and/or Fellowship Awards (Professional Master’s Bursary, Opportunity Scholarship for incoming Black and Indigenous students, some IHPME awards) as well as OSAP. Information on these awards, plus details of their eligibility criteria, is available on the School of Graduate Studies website (SGS Awards and Funding).
Student Funding Package
The student funding package is a mixture of different sources of funding, including:
E.g., Government Funded Awards, IHPME merit-based awards, UofT awards etc.
See Faculty Directory for accepting students.
University of Toronto Fellowship (UTF)
Funding is preferred in the following order:
- External fellowships (e.g., CIHR, SSHRC, Vanier);
- Operating grant stipends (e.g., funding from supervisor’s grant);
- Internal awards & Ontario Graduate Scholarships (OGS); and
- University of Toronto Fellowship (UTF).
UTF should be considered as the last source of financial support. Stipend funding from supervisors replaces UTF as part of the student funding package and will not be paid as a top-up.
- Both student and supervisor are required to make every reasonable effort to obtain funding from awards, and/or supervisor grants for every year that the student is in the program and meets the eligibility criteria of external funding agencies.
- Student loans, such as OSAP, and research or teaching assistant roles are not part of the student funding package.
- IHPME needs-based awards go over and above the base funding.
- Students that have deferred acceptance into the program, will not receive UTF and must be funded by their supervisor.
- The funding package will be established with the student, in consultation with the supervisor and program director.
Student Funding Package Criteria
|Annual Income1||Award(s) Value||IHPME Funding (supervisor and/or UTF)|
|More than $26,000||n/a||No IHPME Funding|
|Less than $26,000||$0||$26,000|
|Licensed MDs who are involved in a clinical training program or clinical duties.||n/a||No IHPME Funding|
|N/A||Less than $2,000||Small awards up to a cumulative amount of $2,000 will not be deducted from the funding package|
|Less than $26,000||Less than $17,500||Top-up to meet $26,000|
|Less than $26,000||$17,500 to $35,000||Top-up to meet $26,000 plus $1,500 bonus for first year of award and then $1,000 for remaining years of award up to three years while receiving the student funding package|
|Less than $26,000||More than $35,000||No top-up or bonus|
IHPME Research Expense Stipend for PhD students
- IHPME will provide a one-time $500 stipend for full-time and flex-time PhD students in years 1–4 to:
- Attend or present at a conference, and/or
- Help with costs incurred in data collection specific to PhD student’s dissertation research (e.g., survey development/distribution/collection, the purchase of “cut” data from administrative databases, travel to/from sites for data collection, tokens of appreciation for participants, interview data transcription etc.), and
- Help with the costs of open access publication in reputable peer-reviewed journals.
- This stipend can be used for a mix of data collection and conference-related expenses as needed
Please retain all original receipts and fill in the expense reimbursement form (which you can obtain from firstname.lastname@example.org). Once completed, please submit all information to email@example.com. You will be required to present proof of payment (i.e. a printout of your credit card statement showing the charge – you can then block out the other charges). Finally, please fill in this short survey regarding your conference experience https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/HNWC9Z8
Get in Contact
Phone Number: (416) 946-3486
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Coordinates student records, graduate funding, and student-related awards