In October, 2011 the Governing Council of the University of Toronto approved the following motion: “That the status of the existing Department of Health Policy, Management and Evaluation in the Faculty of Medicine be changed to an Extra-Departmental Unit: A (EDU: A) effective immediately.” With the transition of the Institute of Health Policy, Management, and Evaluation to the Dalla Lana School of Public Health and the maintenance of its status as an EDU:A, the terms of reference have been reorganized to those below.
IHPME Executive Committee
The proposed governance model included the establishment of an Executive Committee chaired by the Dean of the Dalla Lana School of Public Health as the lead Faculty. Cognate Departments and Faculties identified as being most closely aligned with IHPME through their education programs were recommended as members of the committee.
The IHPME Executive Committee will meet normally three times per year and will be comprised of the following members:
- Dean, Dalla Lana School of Public Health (Chair)
- Dean, Lawrence S. Bloomberg Faculty of Nursing
- Dean, Leslie Dan Faculty of Pharmacy
- Dean, Faculty of Information
- Dean, Faculty of Medicine
Quorum for the Executive Committee is four members plus the Director of IHPME (ex-officio).
The role of the Executive Committee is to:
- Recommend appointment of the Director of the IHPME to the Dean of the Dalla Lana School of Public Health and review this appointment in accordance with University policy. This will be done in accordance with University policy governing such appointments (Policy on Appointment of Academic Administrators) and will include a Dean’s Advisory Committee (chaired by the Dean of Public Health) composed of members of the Executive and other members approved by the Provost.
- Review the Director’s annual report and advise on potential opportunities for collaboration including the determination of the potential for shared resources.
- Assess the performance of the Director and the Institute on an annual basis.
- Provide strategic advice to the Director to ensure the success of the IHPME.
The Director (who also serves as Graduate Chair/Director of the Graduate Program in Health Policy, Management and Evaluation, as outlined in the School of Graduate Studies constitution) will be responsible for policy and administrative and financial operations of the Institute.
- The role of the Director is equivalent to that of a Department Chair within the University of Toronto, who has both a fiscal budgetary role as well as an academic administrative leadership role.
- The Director will oversee the operating budget of the IHPME, including revenue from external grant sources.
- The Director will work with the oversight of the Executive Committee, as well as seek advice from a Dean’s Advisory Panel composed of internal and external stakeholders.
- The Director will sit on the All Chairs Committee of the Faculty of Medicine and on the Executive Committee of the Dalla Lana School of Public Health.
IHPME Senior Administrative Committee
The Director will establish a Senior Administrative Committee including the Graduate Coordinator and representation from the academic programs (minimally representation from both research and professional stream programs) and from the research programs (minimally representation from the clinical and health services sectors).
The Senior Administrative Committee will meet monthly and will:
- Provide leadership consistent with the Institute’s academic and research mandates.
- Assist the Director with academic and research planning, administrative functions including fiduciary responsibilities, and staff and faculty complement decisions.
- Advise the Director on the following issues:
- Policy regarding allocation and re-allocation of space and resources among and within the IHPME program and members.
- Policy regarding allocation of new appointments.
- Management of support services and other infrastructure.
- Teaching and mentoring of trainees.
- Work in conjunction with appropriate committees of faculty, staff, students and stakeholders. (e.g. Curriculum and Awards, Appointments and Promotion, Advisory committee) to address proposed new policies and initiatives.
- Work in conjunction with appropriate committees of faculty, staff, students and stakeholders. Examples of such committees are program specific external Advisory Committees, Curriculum and Awards Committees and program specific review committees.
IHPME Advisory Panel
The Dean’s Advisory Committee for the Dalla Lana School will build on the critical partnerships and linkages that have been of fundamental importance to the success of HPME. Representatives on the Dean’s Advisory Committee from the entire range of IHPME stakeholders, will provide a sounding board as the Institute develops its strategic plan and implements its education and research mandates.
Review of Executive Committee
Once a year, the Executive Committee will review its function, contributions, and role including the question of wheher to allow delegation of members.