AI in Health Certificate Program
As a flagship component of an overarching Artificial Intelligence in the Health Sector initiative being championed at the Institute of Health Policy Management and Evaluation, the inaugural Artificial Intelligence in Health Certificate Program will launch in March 2020, with registration opening in December 2019.
This four day certificate program will prepare learners to apply innovations in AI for health. Learners will gain an understanding of the fundamental concepts of AI, current applications and emerging trends of AI for health, and a practical understanding of how to implement AI for health.
Dates: March 6, March 13, March 27, April 3, 2020
This program is applicable for all health care practitioners, health administrators and health care funders across all health sectors (e.g. Acute, sub-acute, primary care, etc.)
At the completion of this certificate program, learners will be able to:
- Understand and apply fundamental AI concepts and terms
- Understand the data and computation environments necessary for AI
- Understand the relevant history of AI and how to it can be applied in the current context of health
- Identify and assess opportunities, barriers, and limitations of AI in health and healthcare.
- Understand the landscape of available data and governance of the data.
- Apply concepts of confidentiality, privacy, and security to health AI applications
- Utilize concepts related to Machine Learning, and how they can be applied to health and healthcare
- Identify the steps required to successfully implement Machine Learning in health and healthcare.
- Identify and apply different frameworks for conducting ethical analysis of applications of AI in health care
- Identify and understand relevant domains of policy that govern uses of AI in health care
- Understand, assess, and apply tools, concepts, models, and frameworks to create strategies around AI technologies with the healthcare context.
- Critically assess various business cases appropriate for AI initiatives within the healthcare context.
- Understand, assess, and apply tools, concepts, models, and frameworks to manage the implementation, change management, governance, and performance measurement of AI technologies within the healthcare context.
Format of Program
Minimum 39 hours for a Certificate of Completion, the College of Family Physicians of Canada Main Pro + credits, and Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons Section 1 accreditation with Faculty of Medicine CPD:
- Virtual orientation: not part of hours counted
- At home pre-course work: define individual case study and submit: 1 hour
- At home pre-reading for each module: 0.5 hours X 7 modules: 3.5 hours
- 8 content modules (each module is 3.5 hours in class) = 28 hours
- At home post- work: 1 hour of reflection questions X 6 modules (7th module will occur during last day) : 6 hours
- Presentation preparation on individual case= 2 hours
Total: 40.5 Hours
Module 1: Fundamentals of AI – Laura Rosella
Module 2: AI Applications in Healthcare – Bo Wang
Module 3: Ethics and Policy of AI for Health – Jay Shaw & Sally Bean
Module 4: Health AI Strategies and Business Cases- – Zaki Hakim & Michael Caesar
Module 5: Data and Information Governance – Eric Sutherland
Module 6: AI Implementation & Adoption – Zaki Hakim & Michael Caesar
Module 7: Practical Guide to Machine Learning – Ali Vahit Esensoy & Elham Dolatabadi
Module 8: Learner presentations (syllabus not provided)- Emily Seto & Julia Zarb (facilitators)