health policy, health economics, health system performance, comparative health systems, population health, and equity in health and health care
I have worked with colleagues at IHPME, CIHI, SPPG and LSE on research that aims to improve health system performance in Canada and other high-income countries. This research has been published in high impact journals and has received attention from media and decision-makers. Some recent areas of interest include improving the equity in financing of prescription drugs in Ontario, analyzing inefficiency in the Canadian health system, and exploring opportunities for containing costs in high-income countries.
Additional Recent Publications
- Deber, R., and Allin, S. (2014). Ontario: Changing policies, changing categories. In G. Marchildon and L. Di Matteo (Eds.) Bending the Cost Curve in Health Care. Toronto: University of Toronto Press, Forthcoming.
- Allin, S. and Rudoler, D. (2013). The Canadian Healthcare System: 2013. In S. Thomson et al (Eds) International Profiles of Health Care Systems. New York: The Commonwealth Fund.
- Marchildon, G, and Allin, S. (2012). Canada. In A. Israeli, B. Rosen, and S. Shortell (Eds.) Responsibility and Accountability in Health Care: Issues in Addressing an Emerging Global Challenge. Hackensack, NJ: World Scientific.
- Allin, S., and Masseria, C. (2012). Measuring access to health care in Europe. In A. McGuire and J. Costa-Font (Eds.), The LSE Companion to Health Policy. Cheltenham: Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Allin, S., and Laporte, A. (2011) Socioeconomic status and the use of medicines in the Ontario Public Drug Program, Canadian Public Policy, 37(4), 563-576.
- Marchildon, G, and Allin, S. (2011). Accountability in Canadian health care. In A. Israeli, B. Rosen, and S. Shortell (Eds.) Responsibility and Accountability in Health Care. Hackensack, NJ: World Scientific.
- Allin, S., Stabile, M., and Tuohy, C. (2010) Financing models for non-CHA services in Canada: lessons from local and international experiences with social insurance. Report commissioned by the Canadian Foundation for Healthcare Improvement.
- Allin, S., Masseria, C., and Mossialos E. (2010) Equity in health care use among older people in the United Kingdom: an analysis of panel data. Applied Economics, 43(18): 2229-2239.