The purpose of this study, funded by a Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada (SSHRC) Insight Development grant, is to understand the work of data scientists who are working in the health care domain and the contextual factors that affect it. The study seeks to provide an in-depth insight into the barriers, inefficiencies, and inherent tensions and contradictions that may exist within the work activities of health data scientists. These insights could inform national or provincial policies, organizational procedures, developments and improvements of tools for data science, and educational and training initiatives. Data will be gathered through job shadowing and interviews with health data scientists and will be analyzed through the theoretical lens of Cultural Historical Activity Theory.
I am looking for a student RA to take part in various aspects of the study including preparation of REB application, development of observation and interview protocols, data analysis, and preparation of presentations, reports, and manuscripts.
Required skills and experience:
- Master’s or PhD student, preferably in the Health Informatics Research, Health AI, or Organization and Management Studies emphasis;
- Strong teamwork skills, coordinating with PIs and collaborators;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both written and oral
- Ability to work independently, under guidance;
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills and ability to exercise independent judgment
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail and accuracy. Able to exercise tact and use discretion regarding confidential matters;
- Experience in conducting observational research and/or interviews is an asset;
- Bi-lingual (English/French)- an asset.