MSc to PhD Transfer Program
Those wishing to pursue PhD studies at IHPME (with the exception of Clinical Epidemiology candidates) and:
- who have completed a non-thesis Master’s degree program (e.g., MBA, MPH); or
- who hold a post-graduate qualification that did not require the completion of a thesis; or
- have demonstrated experience with research and with report writing in lieu of a Master’s thesis;
may apply for admission to the MSc to PhD Transfer Program. Students should declare their intention to pursue the MSc to PhD Transfer Program at the beginning of their Master’s studies.
Successful applicants to the MSc to PhD Transfer Program will initially be enrolled in a Masters program. The request for transfer into the PhD program should be made no later than June 15 of the first academic year of the student’s initial registration in the School of Graduate Studies.
In order to be considered for transfer, students must:
- Demonstrate strong academic potential by:
- Completing a minimum of 5 courses;
- Achieving a minimum of grade B+ in all courses and an overall average of A- in their program.
- Obtain a letter supporting the transfer from his/her supervisor.
- Submit an 8-10 page outline of a PhD-quality thesis project including:
- The research question(s);
- A brief literature review about the background and the importance of the research project;
- An outline and review of the likely data source(s);
- A preliminary research design, including the likely methods to be used;
- A brief discussion of the analytical issues which could be encountered in the project.
- Develop and submit a schedule for completion of the PhD program.
- Prepare and submit a statement about financial support, including plans for fellowship applications.
The transfer request (which includes all the supporting documentation described above), must be submitted to the Program Director by June 15 of the academic year in which the student initially registered in the School of Graduate Studies. Students will be informed of the decision about their transfer request by mid-July.
If the request to transfer is successful, students will be registered in the PhD program at the beginning of the Fall session immediately following the approval of the request. If the request to transfer to is unsuccessful, students will continue in their Masters program.
Students who successfully transfer will have their PhD registration back-dated to the date of entry into the MSc program for purposes of calculating the number of years they are allowed to complete their course work, including the comprehensive examination and to prepare and defend their thesis proposal.
The Institute strongly encourages students who are pursuing a Masters degree program in IHPME to complete their Masters program before applying to the PhD program. However, exceptionally qualified students who are currently enrolled in a Masters program in the Institute may also request to transfer to a PhD program. To do so, they must complete and submit within the deadlines specified, all the documentation outlined above for those students who are enrolled in the Msc to PhD Transfer Program.
PhD Inter-Departmental Transfers
Students who have been admitted to another department or program in the School of Graduate Studies may apply for an interdepartmental transfer to IHPME in accordance with the regulations established by the School and the department and program in which they are enrolled.
Since internal transfers involve the commitment of funding and supervisory time, applications for internal transfer will normally only be considered during and as part of the Instistute’s regular admission cycle, for which the application deadline is November 15.