Clinical Epidemiology FAQS

Q: I do not have a transcript for my residency program. What kind of documentation should I provide?
A: You can provide a letter from your residency program outlining the details of your training. We appreciate there is no formal transcript for this. We require transcripts from all post-secondary institutions.

Q: Do I need to send official transcripts at the start of the application process?
A: Official sealed transcripts will be requested if you are selected to move forward to the interview stage. Grade legends and translations should accompany international transcripts.

Q: How many days protected time do we need to secure for the program?
A: Applicants are expected to have a minimum of 3 of 5 / 5 of 7 days per week of protected time in both thesis and non-thesis program. This should cover course attendance and prep/assignment completion. We ask employers/supervisors to provide written confirmation of this protected time.

Q: Do you consider applications from non-physician clinicians (e.g. dentists, chiropractors, pharmacists etc.) interested in undertaking training that would lead to independent research careers?
A: Yes, we accept a number of non-physician clinicians into the program every year. Please note that our class sizes are small – approximately 25 new students per year, from over 100 very competitive applicants each year, most with a number of first-author publications already and a clear pathway to a position as a researcher in an academic setting upon completing the graduate program.

Q: What should be included in the letter of intent?
A: The letter of intent should be concise and relevant. Think about addressing your previous education, reasons for wanting to enrol in Clin Epi, future career goals and research interests as they apply to Clin Epi/Healthcare. It is also a great place to elaborate on any funding or supervision arrangements and clinical obligations during your studies.

Q: If I’m not actively engaged in research, can I apply for the program?
A: Yes, but note that most successful applicants have been engaged in research projects and will have published (a number) of peer-reviewed manuscripts already.

Q: I would like to pursue clinical research as an associate or a coordinator. Is this the right program?
A: No, this is not the correct program. We are training persons who wish to become independent investigators as clinician scientists or investigators with an academic appointment at a major University.

Q. English is not my first language. Do I need to take the TOEFL exam?
A. If your primary language is not English and you graduated from a non-Canadian university where the language of instruction and examination was not English, then you must demonstrate your facility in English by successfully completing an acceptable English language proficiency test. This requirement should be met at the time you submit your application, and must be met before registration is allowed. The TOEFL is just one of the many tests accepted. For more information, including minimum required scores, please see the English-language proficiency testing page.

Q: Can I enrol in the master’s program while completing my fellowship program?
A: Yes, although you are expected to have a minimum of 3 of 5 / 5 of 7 days per week of protected time in both thesis and non-thesis program. This protected time must be confirmed in writing by your clinical supervisor if admitted to the program.